Yes, I ride a bike for transportation. Yes, I live in San Francisco. Yes, there are hills. No, my bike does not have gears. Here's why:
- Cheap. A single speed bike is the least expensive type of bike there is.
- Durable. No shift cables, shifters, or derailleurs to break. Only two gears to replace instead of 12.
- Light. Need to carry your bike up stairs every day? Have a tiny apartment to maneuver your bike through? A light bike really helps.
- Sexy. You want to be sexy, don't you?
- Easy. The most common question I hear from beginners is "how do you use your gears?" To which I respond "I've never had to learn!"
So what if 5% of the time riding a singlespeed is hard. The other 95% of the time your single speed bike is a better vehicle than a fancy pants carbon nano-bot bike!
1 speed 4 life.